This is a WIP, but ¯\(ツ)/¯
- Mixing bowl
- 10 inch cast iron skillet
- [optional] probe thermometer
- 100g unsalted butter, plus more for serving
- 140g fine yellow cornmeal
- 140g all-purpose flour
- 50g sugar
- 6g kosher salt
- 18g baking powder
- 1g (1/4 teaspoon) baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 170g sour cream
- 113g cultured buttermilk
- 1 tin of sweetcorn, drained
- Adjust oven rack to centre position and preheat oven to 220°C.
- In a mixing bowl, weigh out the dry ingredients.
- In a blender weigh out the wet ingredients and blend until fully smooth
- Place butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Transfer skillet to oven and heat until the butter is melted and well browned, 10 to 20 minutes (you can measure your wet and dry ingredients while waiting).
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, then add the browned butter. (Careful, it’s hot as fuck.) Stir until homogeneous.
- Remove skillet from the oven and swirl to coat all surfaces with melted butter. Spoon batter into skillet, smooth top lightly, then transfer to oven. Bake until light golden brown on top and a wooden skewer inserted into cornbread comes out with no crumbs, 20 to 25 minutes. (Or internal temperature reaches 90°C)
- Let cool 10 minutes, then serve with extra butter and honey at the table.